Tuesday, March 29, 2005

One sacrifice is enough

At As I See It Now Debra writes about holding onto guilt. Have you ever asked God for forgiveness and promised to work harder in return? Debra has, and realizes it's a misguided response:
Good grief. I used to do that all the time, never realizing it was a downright insult to God. I mean, here He'd gone and sent His son to die for me, yet I was still, thousands of years later, making my own sacrifices for my own sins. Still paying for the ones I committed most often.

I didn't realize that either Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was enough--or it wasn't. I didn't realize that I'd become proficient at turning conviction from God into ugly, bat-over-the-head condemnation.
Debra's words hit a chord with me. For years I struggled with not feeling forgiven. I often said, "I know God has forgiven me, but I can't forgive myself." Finally, I read something that changed me. The writer basically said, "Who are you to be so arrogant as to hold something against yourself that God has forgiven?" And a light came on. God has forgiven me through Jesus Christ. And that's all that matters.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your kind words, Maurice. Glad to see you enjoyed Debra's work, and I appreciate your encouragement about this blog. I'll be praying for you and your trip to Zambia. Peace.

10:21 PM, March 31, 2005  
Blogger Monica said...

I LOVE this post and it came just when I needed it most!

But then, that's what He does for us, doesn't He?

2:36 PM, April 01, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad it was a blessing, Monica. I've found Debra's writing to be comforting and helpful, too. Of course, glory goes to God! I visited your blog today and will be praying for you and your children. Peace.

3:22 PM, April 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home