Friday, January 15, 2010

Five years today

Five years ago today Transforming Sermons began. I started this blog to share links to online treasures with other preachers, and I soon found that many non-preaching Christians found helpful and encouraging links here as well. Since then I've made a point of linking both to works that help preachers transform their sermons into ones that show forth the transforming Word of God, and works that help all Christians be transformed by God's Word.

I won't pretend I don't like it when people read the blog and make comments, but one lesson I've learned in the past five years is to find joy in shining light on the work of others: those who say clearly and thoroughly what I have at best though only vaguely and inarticulately. Not so long ago I don't think I could have done what I'm doing now. It would have killed me to draw attention to those who write, think, and serve God better than I do. But now I take delight in pointing readers not to my work, but to others'. I confess this change of heart not to pat myself on the back, but to give glory to God. When I look at how the focus of my life has changed over the past few years, I know very well I can't take credit for moving from me-centeredness toward Christ-centeredness. This transformation is the work of God, and I thank and praise him for doing it.

One of the greatest delights in discipleship is seeing God transform hearts--both one's own and those of brothers and sisters walking faith's journey with us. The heart transformation I'm striving to realize and help others find is real. And it comes not from our best efforts or hard work, but from the power of God's Word.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Claude Mariottini said...

Milton,

Congratulations on five years of helping pastors and other readers find good reading in the Internet.

May your work continue for many more years. May the Lord bless your wonderful ministry.

Claude Mariottini

11:15 PM, January 15, 2010  
Blogger Charles Savelle said...

Kudos on five years! Keep up the good work and the good fight.

7:20 AM, January 16, 2010  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

Once again, thanks Milton. I really appreciate your ministry presence here on the 'net.

3:34 AM, January 18, 2010  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thank you, Claude, Charles, and Carla, for the kind words. You continue to encourage me.

11:55 AM, January 18, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, i am sorry to have to say that i also like having post from you. even though you may find that others say what you would like to say and that you think that they say it better, even though... i would still like very much to have posts from you for the benefit of relationship. like in this post...to hear what is going on in your life and heart. to make a connection in that way. i don't think that we can totally get away from some self centerdness. it is what we fight every moment, yet, it is worth the effort just to give what relationship and the connection can give.

the way that you do your blog is up to God and you. but, i would just like to you put a few personal posts in there as well.

and i am glad to hear of the changes that God has been making to your heart.

12:07 PM, January 18, 2010  
Anonymous jeff weddle said...

Thanks Milton for all your links over the years and helping my little blog reach more people. Thanks also for pointing me to many other great links.

8:32 AM, January 19, 2010  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, Jeff. Thanks for your outstanding blogging.

And thank you, Nancy, for your thoughtful words and faithful visits to this little corner of the net.

12:02 PM, January 19, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home