Thursday, March 24, 2005

Worship: All about me?

Brodie McGregor is concerned that much of what passes as worship songs today may well be idolatry:
On Sunday just past we sang a song - nice tune, ok words for the most part, but there was a bit that spoke of Jesus dying on the cross and then had the line, "he took the fall, and thought of me, above all else". I just couldn't sing it. Now none of us can say for sure what Jesus was thinking as he hung on the cross - his sayings from the cross perhaps give us some indication, but a scant one at that. What I think I can say with a degree of certainty is that he was not hanging their thinking about me!

"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." Matt 10:39, seems to have been lost on us, as we seem determined in much that passes for Christian discipleship and worship to prove this saying of Jesus wrong.

Sorry to rant a bit, but hey if what we're really doing is worshiping ourselves and not God, is that not idolatry, is that not something worth getting upset about?
I think it is.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just talking about this song with an older man in my church. And I agree with what he said. God did not think of me, nor even you above all. He thought of God above all. God does things for the glory of God's name.

1:35 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're right, Ish. It's about God's glory, not ours. Thanks for visiting.

1:56 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your comments, Charly. Thanks even more for speaking out on behalf of Terri Schiavo and life.

5:09 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger John Schroeder said...

Great find and post Milt. Added my bit here

10:03 AM, March 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, John, for visiting and for adding to the discussion. I enjoyed your post and recommend it to readers here. Peace.

5:04 PM, March 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home