Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Exegesis and Associate Pastor Syndrome

I enjoyed this post on preaching by Brian Colmery:

There's this thing I like to call "Associate Pastor Syndrome"--actually, I think my roommate coined the phrase. If you've ever seen an Associate Pastor get up to preach one of the three sermons he has a year, you might have seen a man with so much pent up preaching energy that the whole bible passionately explodes on stage, leaving an odd, sticky residue on the congregation.

I can relate. It used to be a whole lot easier polishing sermons when I had 3 or 4 months to prepare each one, but I doubt they were any better or more helpful than the week-in, week-out variety. On the more meaty side, Brian's post offers helpful reminders about the need for good exegesis in preaching.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Colmery said...

Hey Milton, thanks for the link! As always, I appreciate your blog a ton.

12:20 PM, July 19, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, and thanks for your excellent work at Sycamore. Peace.

2:12 PM, July 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home