Friday, August 19, 2005

Knowledge and love

Jeff at Anti-itch Meditation has been looking this week at 1 Cor. 13 and the idea of knowledge puffing up. Knowledge need not be in opposition or contrast to love, Jeff points out. In fact . . .
Knowledge of God comes first. "That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death. (Philippians 3:10)" Learn it, love it, live it.
You can read Jeff's original posts here, here, and here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

Not sure how I feel about this. I'm always leary of when people state that they KNOW something...over and over...I would say that you can love first and know second. Again, John 14, which has just been on my heart very heavily lately. Loving Jesus, following Him, will allow you to know the truth that is the Father...

8:54 AM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger jeff said...

Bethany, thanks for your comment about the stuff I wrote. After I wrote it I wondered if I came across too conceited about it. I have a slight tendency to be sarcastic. My point is not that knowledge trumps love but that love doesn't trump knowledge either. In order to love something or someone you must know them. John 14:21 says what Jesus means by people loving Him--people who listen to His Word. In order to do that you have to know Him and His word. It's the knowledge that allows you to love and it's the love that helps you gain knowledge. Hope that helps. Thanks again.

11:00 AM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Bethany Jo, for interacting with the post, and thanks, Jeff, for the clarification. I appreciate both of you.

1:41 PM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Bethany said...

Jeff, thanks so much for the clarification. I very much appreciate it.

7:52 AM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home