Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Christian, not Christ-and

Matt Self, one of Christian blogdom's best storytellers, shares the story of his trip to a local restaurant and a young Christian man's overly strident defense of his pet political cause:
What struck me -- and I made a point to mention it to my wife -- was how much the young man reminded me of my younger self: Sold out to the wrong cause for the right reasons and the best of intentions. It was not my politics that were inherently wrong. It was how my politics always got in the way of the Gospel.
Matt brings up an important point--when Christians become dogmatic in partisan politics, what messages do we send about the gospel:
It heightened in me the need to always be about the Gospel, about Christ and the Cross. Even if I am not speaking of it, I need to live it, so that people do not know me by my politics, or my social causes, or my extraneous theology. Even to those who I fellowship with as believers, I want them to see Christ in me so that I do not stumble them. Especially to those who I fellowship with who are not believers, I want them to see through me to the One who has rescued me and redeemed me.
Amen.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen. Nothing against political awareness and we all should vote, but the world will not be saved by a political agenda.

9:26 AM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Matthew Self said...

Thanks for the link, Milton. I'm still looking for that blog copy editor to repair my typos. Care to fill the position? =)

11:07 AM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Jason. I agree that we should be politically aware--perhaps even politically active--but that we should never give the impression that the gospel is tethered to any political party or cause. Peace.

12:32 PM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I don't know, Matt. If there were typos in your post, I missed them myself (with the possible exception of "stumble them").

12:33 PM, November 15, 2005  
Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

Amen to the MAX - thanks- KSD

8:14 AM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Kerry. Thanks for stopping by.

8:35 AM, November 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise words. This is the very reason that I have become much more moderate in my rantings--I realized how my words might be viewed. Let not any fall from Christ's reach because they saw "Robin, that Christian" and thought "If that's a Christian, count me O-U-T!"

7:16 PM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're on target there, Robin. Thanks for stopping by.

7:44 PM, November 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home