Friday, December 23, 2005

Preaching and anointing

Phil McAlmond writes this week about teaching preaching. In preaching, Phil says, it's important to remember not only the need for good hermeneutical and homiletical technique, but anointing:
When preparing to preach or teach, the question that I ask isn’t, what do I need to preach or what can I preach or what do I want to preach, etc. no, I ask, “Lord Jesus, what is it that you are preaching or that you are teaching”? In order for me to declare prophetically that which He is speaking I need to hear clearly what it is that He is saying, now. I dare not presume upon this vital question with some sort of simplistic or presumptuous answer. No, I need to seek Him, wait upon Him, hear Him and then declare what I have seen and heard or even am now seeing and hearing, in His presence (1 Jn 1:3).
That's putting the emphasis where it belongs--not on the preacher, not even on those to whom we preach, but on the God whom we proclaim.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Amen. Thanks for spotting quality stuff.

4:45 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, BF. Thanks for your comments.

7:16 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Kirk Wellum said...

Great quote Milton. Thanks.
All the best to you this Christmas and in the New Year.

7:26 AM, December 25, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad you liked it, Kirk. All the best to you, too!

12:19 PM, December 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home