Sunday, March 12, 2006

New blog for elves, dwarves, hobbits, and men

Well, the word is out that Mike Russell, erstwhile blogger at Eternal Perspectives, has begun a Middle-Earth-themed blog, The Lord of the Kingdom. In his inaugural post, Mike tells what it's all about:

The purpose of this blog is to draw from the wealth of wisdom and depth of insight in Tolkien’s covertly Christian book in order to shed additional light on the Christian life and the struggle against, not flesh and blood, but spiritual forces that oppose all that is good. Characters and events elaborate and shed additional light on the unseen realities of life. There is much wisdom to be found in Tolkien’s words, wisdom that originated in the Bible and has found new expression on the lips of Gandalf, Aragorn, Faramir, and others in Middle-earth.


I can relate. During my early teens, when I rejected the faith of my fathers and of my childhood, it was my deep fondness for the good people of Middle Earth that kept me from simply falling into every kind of sin. It's probably not overstatement to say that Middle Earth may have kept me from moving so far away from God that I would never have returned. I'm glad to see that Mike has begun his new blog--and that he invites only like-minded people to visit:
There will be some small-minded, rigid people who will eschew the use of Tolkien’s masterpiece for such purposes. To them I say: go elsewhere. I have found solid food and refreshing drink in the realms of Middle-earth. If they are unable to find gold or mithril in The Lord of the Rings, I wish them well in other places. But I will not suffer them to despoil the joy or spiritual food that some may find on this blog.

Fair enough. I know many of you will enjoy Mike's work (Dan Cruver, for one, comes to mind). Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home