Friday, November 24, 2006

Our fear of answered prayer

Do you pray as much as you should? Almost without exception, the Christians I speak with don't believe they pray as much as they should. I admit to being one of those Christians. Why is this the case? Brian Colmery offers a few ideas:

We don’t pray as we should because, deep down, we know that if God answers
our prayers we’re going to have to change the way we live. If God really answers my prayer to bring a lot of new converts into the church, I’m going to have to deal with a lot of baby Christians in need of discipleship. If God really answers a prayer for a new job, then I have to show up on time to work. If God really answers my prayer for more mature Christian friends, then I’m going to have to deal with them challenging some of the things I do or say. If God really answers my prayer for humility, I’m going to have to go through some very challenging circumstances. If God really answers prayer, I’m going to be accountable for the things that I neglect to pray for, I’m going to find that the reason I don’t have what I want is that I don’t ask, and I’m going to find that I’d really rather watch television than deal with God showering down blessings if having those blessings mean I have increased responsibility.

Isn't that a sobering thought? We don't pray as we should not because we're afraid that God won't answer, but because we're afraid he will.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good questions!

7:24 PM, November 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the counterintuitive insight as much as anyone, but I feel certain that my lack of prayer is directly related to a dearth of practical faith.

9:30 PM, November 28, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Well said, anon, and you may well be right. Thanks to both you and IH for reading and responsing.

6:09 AM, December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home