Friday, May 04, 2007

Ministering to ourselves

Preacher, are you practicing self-care?
Self-care is incredibly important for men and women living in this twenty-first century. Self-care is to recognize that the creator God has given me my physical, emotional, intellectual, and relational self and has called me to care for his creation. I do so as a part of my stewardship before him. Self-care is not selfishness. Rather, it is to recognize that caring for the self is actually a blessing to others.
That's from Jim Martin at A Place for the God-Hungry. As usual, Jim offers biblically sound, practical advice. He knows what he's talking about.

2 Comments:

Blogger dle said...

Josh McDowell wrote in one of his books that when he was on extended travel, he often bought a vase full of flowers for himself, to spruce up his hotel room.

Chuck Swindoll tells a similar story in one of his books.

I read those a number of years ago and the light came on. I try to remember that sometimes we need something good for ourselves, too.

Free time is probably my biggest gift to myself, which is hard because it means saying no to people.

12:32 PM, May 08, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thank you for saying so. In a couple of weeks Carolyn and I will be taking our first vacation without children in 23 years of marriage. It's going to cost an arm and a leg, but we could use the time away.

11:36 AM, May 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home