Friday, August 17, 2007

Enough

Thanks to Jollyblogger for pointing to these words from Bob Roberts:
Years ago, I was at a point of growing our church big. I was concerned about how fast we could get there. We relocated, and the church started going to pot; it was doing badly. I was embarrassed; I was humiliated. But I'd made a public commitment that I would stay at the church forever, because I heard Rick Warren say that! That's a fun thing to say when things are going good. But when the church is going in the crapper, when you've got First Baptist of Israel in the middle of the desert, you want out of there. And I wanted out bad.

I was walking in a pasture behind my house one day. A pastor not far from me had had affairs with five women; he crashed and burned. Another guy north of me had a megachurch, but he was going to the pen for embezzlement. I told God, "God, I've got my pants on. I've got my hands out of the offering plate. You've got these guys over here doing all this stuff. Why aren't you blessing me?"

All of a sudden this little question came to my mind: When will Jesus be enough for you? Sometimes, I think that's when I became a Christian. I just began to weep, because I realized he wasn't.
Am I the alone in this sensation, or did that one sting?

3 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

Milton,
I actually got to hear Bob Roberts talk about this.... and, um, it was.... ouch. Thanks for bringing this reminder. Ouch, and ouch again.
Blessings.

6:51 AM, August 17, 2007  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Wow . . . thanks for sharing this one, Milton.

7:56 AM, August 17, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, brethren. Thanks for taking the time to visit. Peace.

11:45 AM, August 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home