Monday, November 19, 2007

Real citizenship

Paul Middleton shares his experiences in challenging the supremacy of the United States in the church:
The kingdom of God subverts every other kingdom. Including America. And that's not a popular thing to say. After saying such a thing in a sermon I was approached afterwards by one who seemed almost ready to argue over the virtues of living in America. I would have likely agreed with most everything that person would have said. In fact, I did agree with everything that person did say that day. But I was left with the distinct impression that if we had to choose between America and the church some would choose America. The fact that we can choose both, but subordinate the church to our country says something profound about our country and where some in the church in our country are in terms of the meaning of faith.
Too true, I fear.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear brother,

I am preaching this Sunday on the Church from Ehpesians 2:19-22 and3:10 and was looking for thoughts on citizenship (2:19) when I saw your post. As an American Christian I agree wholeheartedly and I preach the same in our very parochial context here in the US "Christian" South. I may be different because my grandparents were Swiss immigrants and my family did live overseas as missionaries, but I encourage you in what you are saying. I'm growing to appreciate my Aussie brothers as I hear from them . . . I recently heard Tony Payne and Philip Jensen in Washington DC and enjoyed them both and have also recently purchased Matthias Media products from them.

Much grace and love to you,
Bill Pfister
Brevard, NC, USA

11:05 AM, December 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, now I feel stupid. I just saw the PA part. I read it quickly the first time and assumed Australia. That makes your boldness even better. Good job. Preach that sermon on July 4th next summer!

1:02 PM, December 04, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Bill. Until this July I was preaching in the South, too--Tennessee and Virginia. May God bless your preaching of the Word.

7:57 PM, December 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home