Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"Church with benefits"

This article from The Jonah Syndrome is scathing--and, I'm afraid, on-target:
Essentially, the one night stand or the FWB is intended to produce a maximum amount of immediate pleasure with little to none ongoing commitment towards the other party. In the same vein, as I experience emotional or isolational lows, I can immediately begin looking through my iPhone for my next hookup to relieve me of my crisis and the great thing about the "booty call" is that it is on demand, when I want it, and there's no expectation that I have to respond to anyone else's expectations of me. It is 100% on my terms.

And millions are doing the same thing with church. I attend when I want to, and only for my benefit. I am there because I am experiencing a personal spiritual, relational, or emotional crisis, and I want God to give me my "spiritual booty call" to make me feel better. But don't ask me to make any ongoing investment in the church. Don't have any expectations of me as someone who came to that church. Just allow me to come in, use your church as I would a prostitute (I might even pay you for your services), and then I can move on, go back to my life and I'll get back to you if I need you again.

The book of Hosea pretty clearly describes us as playing the role of the prostitute. It pretty clearly draws the analogy that how we tend to act sexually with one another, is also the way we tend to interact with God. And if you'll look closely enough, you'll see that it's absolutely true.
Yep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sista Cala said...

Sad but so true of many folks today. Like an addict looking for his next fix. The church is his crack house.

Hip-hop, shout-shake, or holy soak services are just not going to make faithful disciples. The church is going to have to get real before it can have a real impact.

8:40 PM, December 12, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yep.

3:57 AM, December 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home