Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Identity and action

Thank you, Andy Mason, for saying clearly what I've been stumbling to express for some time:
I always act on the basis of who I am. Who I perceive myself to be has massive repercussions upon how I behave and what my attitudes/motivations are. This seems to be the basis of Paul's exhortations towards holiness. As scholars have noted, the imperative in Paul's letters is always based on the indicative. He always exhorts us on the basis of who we are and what we have become in Christ. Our actions naturally flow out of our core identity and how we view ourselves. Change and sanctification are therefore strongly connected with a transformation in our identity. As our identity changes so we change. It is vital that I get to see who I am in Christ and what I have in Christ, for this is the basis of me being transformed.
This is why it's eminently "practical" to preach new life in Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home