Friday, March 21, 2008

Hollywoodization of the church

It would seem that Barry Maxwell has his eyes open:
I have a love/hate relationship with the pastoral office. There, I've said it. I love what the office should be. I hate what it's become. I love the idea of the biblical pastor. I hate the idea of the 21st-century American pastor. I love what I could be, by God's grace. I hate what I'm pressured to be, by man's expectations. I love seeing the flock eat week-in, week-out. I hate the ecclesiastical steroids that tempt them between meals. I love what churches need to be biblical. I hate what churches expect to be successful. I love the institution. I hate institutionalism. I love that Jesus doesn't need me to adorn his bride. I hate that he doesn't need me to adorn his bride.

Like many pastors I've struggled to reconcile what I should be with what "they" say I should be. The tri-fold glossy pamphlets I receive peddle a pastor who is marketable, administratively brilliant, motivational, highly-starched and sharply-creased. A baptized Tony Robbins. A sanctified Gap model. A glorified spiritual guru.

Frankly, I have absolutely no desire to be any of those things.
Amen. And thanks to Ray Van Neste for the link.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

I agree with the assessment.

But frankly, in my flesh, I do have some desire to be those things.
And that's what scares me.

8:32 AM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I'm with you, Jared. When these kinds of issues come up, I sometimes think of the title of Andrew Gold's album, All This and Heaven Too. Too bad that's not really an option. Peace.

10:33 AM, March 21, 2008  
Blogger Dan McGowan said...

Hey Milton - it's been a long time since I've been in contact with you via blog-ville... great to connect again - - hope you are doing well!

10:58 AM, March 24, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yes, indeed. Very good to hear from you again, Dan.

9:46 PM, March 24, 2008  
Blogger Vicki said...

This was excellent - had to go over there and finish reading the post. Amen! I pray more pastors would wake up to what you and Pastor Maxwell have sensed all along.

Hope you and family are well!

blessings,
V.

8:38 AM, June 09, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your comments, Vicki, and for keeping in touch. Peace.

12:32 PM, June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home