Monday, March 31, 2008

Repentance and refreshing

This one stings:
You hear it all the time. Jesus loves you, and he wants to save your marriage, heal your back, treat your depression, etc. He's God, so he can do it. And as I said, he loves you. So if you want him to save your marriage, heal your back ("I'm getting the word 'back pain'"), get relief from depression, etc., just come forward and let us pray for you. Isn't God incredible!

There, that's what they call "the gospel" these days. But of course it is not the Gospel. Clearly, you don't have to be preaching the "prosperity gospel" to be preaching a "me-centered" message. In my experience, there are many church-goers who simply don't understand what the gospel is, because they have never really been told what it is in their own churches.
That's Bob at In the Clearing, one of the best gospel-centered blogs out there. I recommend Bob's whole article.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot said...

That's a great quote. You are so right that a lot of people are filling people's heads with a self-centered perversion of the gospel. Thanks for posting that.

Oh yeah, I also noticed that you are still linking to my former blog "The Watchman." My new site is at http://www.baptistmuse.com/blog/blog.html

Thanks so much and God bless.

6:42 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the note, soldier. I've made the change on my blogroll. Hu-ah.

7:49 PM, March 31, 2008  
Blogger Vicki said...

Thanks for this...will scoot over there and read the whole article. The gospel has definitely been altered for this me-generation.

1:26 PM, April 01, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Yes, indeed.

7:50 PM, April 01, 2008  
Blogger Nicholas Z. Cardot said...

Thanks, brother.

Hooah!

9:13 PM, April 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home