Monday, March 10, 2008

Whose credentials?

Jared Wilson offers some spot-on thoughts about self-esteem in ministry:
When God called Moses to demand release of the Israelites from Egyptian captivity, Moses felt inadequate and unqualified. He asked, "Who am I to do such a thing?"

Now, when I ask this question of God, I usually ask in false humility. What I really want is God to reassure me of my qualifications and giftedness. What I really want is God to pump up my self-esteem. "Please remind me how awesome I am so that I'll be confident enough to do this," I ask God. And I fully expect God to respond, "Jared, you're good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people like you."

This not what God said to Moses. In fact, he really didn't even answer the question "Who is Moses?" He answered the question "Who is God?"

The answer, of course, is God.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home