Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Radical Church?

Here's a blog that I came across only this morning after the blogger, Jon clayton, left a brief comment over at my place, In the Clearing. The blog is called Laboring in the Lord. Jon, by the way, is a Texan who has transplanted to New England (my neck of the woods). I wanted to point some traffic his way and also share a quotation from Timothy Keller (who's getting to be almost as often-quoted around the blogosphere as Mr. Piper!) that Jon featured in a recent post:
A church must be more deeply and practically committed to deeds of compassion and social justice than traditional liberal churches and more deeply and practically committed to evangelism and conversion than traditional fundamentalist churches. This kind of church is profoundly counter-intuitive to American observers. It breaks their ability to categorize (and dismiss) it as liberal or conservative. Only this kind of church has any chance in the non-Christian west.
And then we have Jon's brief but very appropriate response:
What an amazing thought; that the church would believe the truth, live the truth, and proclaim the truth. How radical is that?
Yup. Very radical!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob, thanks for the post. BTW, I love New England. I am grateful God sent me here...

12:48 PM, July 08, 2008  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Have you been bitten by the Red Sox bug yet! I moved to New England from Pennsylvania (years ago), went to Fenway Park and have never been the same since!

6:42 PM, July 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a church should proclaim God's law and his gospel, and administer the sacraments.

The social work and whatever visable good deeds the church does is great, but it is not job one. Job one is to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Everthing else will fall into place.

Mormons are great at social work, and I'd hardly call them a church.

11:01 PM, July 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home