Friday, October 31, 2008

Of laughter and tears

In a world that seems to promise fame for everyone, Doug Floyd shares some clear-eyed thoughts on gifts and calling:
I once dreamed of speaking to large crowds who would sway and fall under the weight of my words. But those large crowds have often taken form in a handful of folks in my living room or in one friend during an extended lunch.

It seems that when God called me, He called me out from the successful and ever-growing church as I knew it, and into the lonely quiet of caves (better known as cubicles).

For a season I fought this exile by reminding myself that my intellect would one day reap great acclaim from audiences far and near. Over time, I’ve come to realize that I know far less than most people and understand even less of what I know
Although Doug hasn't found fame, he has found something much better:
I’ve come to peace with the limitations of my abilities and opportunities. And yet, following Chesterton’s advice, I continue to delight in all three because “if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.”

Every so often I am reminded of the gifts and calling that I bear. Rather than being called to soar to great heights of profound erudition, I’ve been given the simple gifts of laughter and tears.
Amen. I heartily recommend Doug's whole essay.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful
refreshing

6:24 PM, October 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Milton!

9:01 PM, November 02, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad to hear it, Nancy. Doug is one of my favorite writers.

12:00 PM, November 03, 2008  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're welcome, Doug. Thanks once again for introducing me to the joys of blogging. Peace.

12:00 PM, November 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home