Friday, November 07, 2008

Obeying and embodying

Doug Floyd shares his thoughts on interpreting the Scriptures in the twenty-first century. Here's a sample:
. . .seeing the Bible through varying perspectives does not mean that I give into a sea of subjective waves. Rather, I can draw from the tools of the ancient church [realizing] that multiple perspectives can operate at the same time without canceling each other out. I can appreciate the narrative tools and rhetorical devices without denying the historical veracity of the stories. Both perspectives can teach me. This can begin helping me develop the Biblical skills I need to distinguish between subjective fluff and subjectively inspired revelation via an objective God who stands outside of my thoughts.
That sounds right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home