Thursday, January 01, 2009

Books in perspective

Jeff Weddle has been on a roll lately at anti-itch meditation. His thoughts on books and preaching are especially good:
I read this morning that a pastor should spend as much on his library as he does on his car. Well, depending on what kind of car you have that may not be much. But seriously? Do we need that many books?

The Early Church pretty much taught with the Old Testament and the new New Testament books being circulated. Other than that, they didn't have much to go with. Yet they preached and souls were saved.

I understand the value of books and I read all the time, but I get a little tired of hearing this idea that if a pastor doesn't read books his sermons and soul will run dry. What a charge to level against the Scriptures and the Holy Spirit!
Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I suppose part of the argument goes - Paul used books (2 Tim 4), and I'd say using books is a good part of humility, to avail ourselves of available teachers, through history and geograph to help combat our own blindspots and assist us as we grow.

That said, the dominant book on the shelf better be The Book.

3:59 PM, January 01, 2009  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

That sounds right to me, Dave. Thanks for the input.

5:15 PM, January 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home