Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Creating crises?

Bob at In the Clearing has really got me thinking with this observation about church people:
Everybody wants to be your comforter. The whole idea of church life, they seem to think, is to find out what's hurting and pray for that. Nothing makes them light up more than to hear that you're feeling down, or you have some back pain, or your job is boring. It gives them something to "intercede" about!

I hope I'm not sounding too awfully cynical here. I certainly do appreciate prayer, but I think we're training ourselves to be perpetual spiritual invalids, rather than forgetting ourselves and getting involved in the mission of God in the world around us.
I think Bob may be right. Thoughts? If so, please visit In the Clearing and let Bob know.

Update: John Schroeder shares his thoughts here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home