Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Being like Christ, not the world

The Seeking Disciple has posted some powerful thoughts about relevance and reaching the world for Christ. Here's a sample (with a few commas added for clarity):
What we don't need is to try to win the world using the world, but we need to be Christ to the world and allow His glory to shine through us (Matthew 5:13-16; 1 Peter 2:11-12). When I come to hear the man of God, I don't need to hear about what the latest television program has to do with life, but I need to hear a word from God! Only the Bible being preached in truth through the power of the Spirit will bring true change (John 17:17; 1 Peter 2:1-3). Let me listen to a man or a woman of God who has been shut in with God, seeking His face, and has heard from heaven through the Scriptures (Acts 13:1-4 for a case in point of where the disciples sought God and He revealed His will to them). I don't need to hear the latest numbers from the watch group of culture, but let me hear from Jesus (John 10:27). Let me know that the man of God stands upon the final authority of the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16-17) and they are not going to bow to this world but to Christ alone (2 Timothy 4:1-6).

The most effective evangelist in the world are those who are like Christ. Jesus was counter-culture, and the way that we impact our modern culture is not by running out to see the latest ungodly film or listening to the latest ungodly music but by shutting ourselves in the secret place with Christ (Matthew 6:6) and coming out with the glory of this new covenant shining through us (2 Corinthians 3:10-11). If we truly believe Acts 1:8 then let us stand on God and His Word and go forth making an impact that exalts His honour far above our own. The world needs to see Jesus living inside of me, and that will draw them to the Saviour.
Amen.

2 Comments:

Blogger nannykim said...

I like this. Reminds me a bit of one of the book I am now reading called "Unfashionable"

3:42 PM, July 08, 2009  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Sounds like a good book. Thanks for mentioning it and for reading this blog. Peace.

3:56 PM, July 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home