Wednesday, January 27, 2010

At home and abroad

Mike Leake confronts the idea--one deadly to Christian discipleship--that foreign assistance shouldn't be done "when we have hurting people over here." A sample:
So, why should you take care of someone else when you are hurting yourself? Why should our nation send relief to Haiti when we have homeless people and orphans here? Because that is exactly what Jesus would do. Jesus would not refuse to serve a Samaritan because the Jews were under Roman oppression. You look at the Cross and compare that to this “I need to care of my own needs first”, New-Age, Oprah-driven, egocentric junk. I do not see my bleeding Savior climbing down off the cross and saying, “someone else will have to serve for awhile…I have my own needs.”
Indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home