Thursday, May 08, 2014

Wrestling with Google

For several years Google has been prompting me for my cell phone number, and they've become increasingly pushy about doing so. Today Google wouldn't let me log in till I gave them my cell phone number and verified it with a code they would text me to re-enter in a login screen. As I have in the past, I managed a work-around, but those work-arounds are becoming more and more difficult.

I'm comfortable using Blogger and would like to stay on the site where I've been blogging for nearly ten years. But Google already knows far more about me than I like, and I certainly don't want to give them my cell phone number as well.

Google owns this site, and they aren't charging me to use it. That means they are completely within their rights to make whatever demands they want of me to continue with their otherwise free service. But if this weblog suddenly goes silent, I want you to know why.

2 Comments:

Blogger jeff said...

my problem is that I don't have a cell phone so wondering what will happen when they won't let me continue to use their stuff.

8:44 AM, May 09, 2014  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Jeff, I don't remember if I ever knew that you collected baseball cards. I used to collect them, too.

11:55 AM, May 12, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home