Saturday, March 05, 2005

Awesome Bible study resources

A hat tip to Rebecca Writes for turning me on to an outstanding Bible study site. The Bible Centre has the usual collection of public domain books, along with some surprisingly newer ones. Look at this:

The Commentaries section includes works on 1 Thessalonians and 2 Thessalonians by F. F. Bruce. New Testament Studies include the Westcott-Hort Greek NT text from 1881 with NA26/27 variants, Bruce Metzger's Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, F. F. Bruce's The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? and Gerhard Kittel's multi-volume Theological Dictionary of the New Testament.

The section on English Bible Versions includes Charles Ryrie's Inerrancy and Bruce's "The Two Testaments." The Reference Library has e-versions of two textbooks I studied in seminary: Dillard and Longman's Introduction to the Old Testament and Carson, Moo and Morris's Introduction to the New Testament. There's also a fine Bible map collection and an interesting book, new to me, Dictionary of Bible Types by Walter Wilson. The Theological Library has John Piper and Wayne Grudem's Recovering Biblical Manhood and Womanhood along with works of both Calvin and Arminius.

There's some exceptionally good material at The Bible Centre. Along with this post, I'm adding links to the map collection and center main site.

Update: On closer examination, it looks like The Bible Centre may be violating copyright law by posting some of the newer works. I've removed the links to all pages and will leave them off till I'm convinced they're not copyright violations.

12 Comments:

Blogger Peter Bogert said...

Milton:

A great discovery. I'm posting that on my page too as I've been trying to provide links to links.

I have a request for Pastors to comment on extending the benefits of their preaching on my Stronger Church blog if you care to share it with your readers.

http://bogert.blogspot.com

12:45 PM, March 05, 2005  
Blogger Rusty Peterman said...

Milton:

The thunderous noise you near in the background is the sound of applause for letting us know about this Bible study resource.

12:53 PM, March 05, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I'll do it, Peter. Thanks for visiting and for giving us the link. I'll post it later this evening.

2:13 PM, March 05, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your kind words, Rusty, and thanks to Rebecca for her post.

2:15 PM, March 05, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks Milton..I will put this under my "study sites". I like to make my blog a stop shop for my sermon prep.
brad

4:35 PM, March 05, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I try to do the same thing for my site. Glad you found it useful, Brad.

5:46 AM, March 06, 2005  
Blogger Doug Floyd said...

What a nice surprise. Thanks Milton!

9:47 AM, March 07, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Doug (and another tip of the hat to Rebecca).

1:59 PM, March 07, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. There are some really great resources on that site.

I am a bit concerned though that they are being generous with other people's property. Is the full text of the Expositor's Bible Commentary and Bruce & Beasley-Murray's Word Biblical Commentaries supposed to be online? It looks like someone has bought the electronic versions and cut and pasted them into HTML.

I might be wrong. I would just expect to see a few more copyright notices if Zondervan had actually agreed to these being published online.

12:22 PM, March 09, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Very good point, Mark. I looked over the OT intro and NT intro texts and found no copyright notices or permission statements, which indicates to me that they may not be authorized uses. It also raises an ethical question: should bloggers link to texts that may be posted in violation of copyright laws? I really don't have the time today to explore these issues, but I would be interested in the outcome. Would you be willing to pursue the issue?

12:59 PM, March 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I have sent an email to the webmaster. It looks to me like he just doesn't get copyright - after all there is a copyright page with links to the publishers sites and a sentence saying that they "acknowledge" the copyrights held by the publishers.

I emailed them with a strong recommendation that they contact the publishers and ask for permission. If they do, I fully expect that they will be told no. In any case, it won't be long before the publishers themselves become aware of this site.

Christians have a tendency to think that all Christian resources such as books, sermons and music should be free. I wish that more of it were, but we have to uphold the Biblical principle that those who teach the word have the right to earn their living from it (1 Cor 9:14). In any case, giving away what is not yours to give amounts to theft (even if the dishonest manageer got commended for it in Luke 16:8!)

I will still feel a bit bad though if my email causes the swift end to this website which clearly has had a lot of hard work put into it.

On a related note, I found this resource today:
Dr Constable's study notesIt is essentially a PDF commentary on the entire Bible written by a professor at Dallas Theological Seminary.

1:56 PM, March 09, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Mark: You make a good point, and I'll be removing the links from the main post--don't want to be an accessary to theft of intellectual property. Please let me know if you hear differently, and thanks for looking into it.

Yes, Constable's notes are a great resource. I've linked to them in the SCRIPTURE RESOURCES section of this page since Day 1. You might want to give a few of the other resources a look, too. Peace.

9:08 PM, March 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home