Thursday, March 17, 2005

One-paragraph commentary on Jonah

In his online class notes, Dr. Conrad Gempf has posted what amounts to the best one-paragraph commentary I've ever seen on the book of Jonah:
The most important message of this book is that God is more willing to give second chances -- to wait for his people -- than people are. The scale of self-deprecating humour in the book is astounding. There's only one Jew in the book and he is the only person in the book who doesn't respond properly to God. Even the feared and despised Assyrian Ninevites hear and obey. I'll bet this book and its author were as roundly condemned by the religious Jews of his time as Jesus was in his.
I'll bet Conrad is right.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the book of Jonah, I teach out of it several times a year. I was planning to teach a few lessons on second chances soon so I will likely include Jonah as a point in that now. Lots of great topics in such a small book, and I am not counting the whale story at all. Great commentary, great point. Thanks for sharing the info.

7:27 AM, March 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad you found it helpful, Frank. Thanks for visiting.

7:51 AM, March 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home