Friday, March 18, 2005

The tension of judgment and tolerance

Jeff McCrory has posted the final installment in his series on Mt. 7:1, judgment and toleration. He concludes that "justice is a God thing, toleration isn't":
Here’s the real bone stuck in the jaw: How do you and I live in a world of sinful human beings under a heavenly judge with an earthly presence, who has judged us in Jesus Christ without making ourselves the judge? How do we hold each other accountable to righteous behavior and call sin, sin and evil, evil without assuming the role of God? This is the real question for disciples.
John Schroeder responds to that question at Blogotional. The question itself, John says, reflects the tension between judgment and tolerance that faces Christians:
Tension is a part of our Christian life. We need to learn to relish it and live in it. In this case we need to learn to proper levels of tolerance and avoid becoming judgemental.
One of the most important purposes of the Bible is to show us the differences--by God's standards--between righteous and sinful behavior. Is this approach, then, too simplistic: Christians in many cases are called to judge attitudes and actions as right or wrong, particularly within the church, while not arrogating to ourselves the task of determining how God will deal with those who choose wrong?

2 Comments:

Blogger John Schroeder said...

Milt --

I'm not sure what your question is here? Are you saying I was too simplistic? I'd like to hear from you some of your reasons why you think that before I respond. I don't think I disagree with anything you said in this post, maybe that is why I don't understand your question.

10:10 PM, March 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

J: I certainly don't think you're being simplistic; I simply worry that I don't have a good appreciation of the nuances of the discussion. I have a tendency to form a theological opinion with the evidence that suits me and then convice myself that I've covered every base in my reasoning--only to discover that like a bull in a china shop there were certain points I . . . missed.

I was responding to Jeff's question and your comments. The "simplistic" comment was directed at my own thinking. Sorry if I gave offense.

My theory (phrased as a question) is that we are called to judge behaviors (by God's standards) but to leave judgment of souls to God. What do you think? M

7:59 AM, March 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home