Tuesday, February 22, 2005

On Freedom in Christ

Rusty Peterman has some helpful thoughts on freedom in Christ. An excerpt:
Jesus wants me to see that Christianity isn't about burdensome commands and rules. Every imperative I read in God's Word is one meant to guide me into keeping company with Jesus--becoming more like Him.

I have freedom from the threat of God’s judgment. When I was a kid, I somehow picked up the idea that, when I die, I wanted to die in church. I mean, how safe is that? That was my thinking. Or at least just after a prayer asking for forgiveness. I didn’t want to go to hell--no right-thinking person would. I had this saved-lost-saved-lost kind of concept about the Christian life. That’s not freedom. That’s bondage. It’s also the height of legalism. It turns good news into bad news. One Scripture really helps me see what Jesus gives me: "Therefore, there is no no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death" (Romans 8:1-2).
I grew up with the same belief that if I died without confessing a sin, I would go straight to hell. Rusty's right. That's bondage. Praise God that when we are in Christ we're no longer under condemnation.

Update: John at Blogotional has more to say on what Christian freedom really is here.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Schroeder said...

Christian freedom is not about doing what I want, it is about being free from what I want to do what God wants. That's exciting! I posted more on this here

6:59 PM, February 23, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, John. I'll add your link to my post. Peace.

7:48 PM, February 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home