Thursday, March 10, 2005

Ten qualities of a great preacher

The current edition of Preaching magazine includes an article by Austin B. Tucker on "What Makes a Great Preacher?" (Note: You need a subscription to access articles in Preaching). The author lists ten qualities of a great preacher. This one really spoke to me:
Great preachers have a passion to preach

Some pastors are content to be administrators and organizers. Other ministers would gladly spend all their time in visiting or counseling or other one-on-one ministry. They might wish preaching were never part of their duty. They know nothing of Paul's burden: "I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I preach not the gospel!"(1 Cor. 9:16 NIV). Great preachers must preach or die.
It's good to hear someone else express that sentiment. What finally prompted me to quit playing at being a preacher about five years ago and really commit my life to evangelism was the realization that I had to proclaim the good news or die. I didn't know if God would strike me dead or if I would shrivel up and die, or if only my soul would die, but I knew that I had to tell the good news of Jesus Christ.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home