Thursday, March 24, 2005

What's at the center of our thinking?

Emotions have been running pretty strongly lately among Christian bloggers as we consider what's happening with Terri Schiavo. Amid this situation, David Wayne offers Christians a much-needed reminder about keeping the cross at the center of our thinking. David is upset at what is being done to Terri Schiavo by her husband, Michael:
Yet, with all of my moral outrage on this, I have to stop and ask myself if I am viewing this situation, and Michael in particular through a gospel-centered lens, or through a cross-centered lens?
David quotes Jerry Bridges:
“The gospel is not only the most important message in all of history, it is [the] only essential message in all of history."
David wonders about Christian reactions to Michael Schiavo -- will we respond as we should? How many of those now outraged by Michael Schiavo's determination to see his wife dead, David asks, will be praying in the future for the man's salvation?

Good question, excellent post. I know I needed to be reminded.

Correction: I originally attributed David's words to Adrian Warnock. While Adrian deserves a hat tip for pointing me to David's Jollyblogger article, he clearly indicated the words were David's. My mistake.

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Milton, I am reminded of the words of Paul...

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. -- Eph 6:12

We need to step up our prayers for Terri against rulers. authorities and the powers of evil...

There are many of us praying here in Australia and we believe this fight will be one in the heavenly realm! Keep up the good work!
GBYAY

1:37 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Amen, John.

1:54 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Laurie, for visiting and for sharing your post. I'm glad you're in the Kingdom of God. You're right about needing to pray for those who do evil things. I spent years praying for those our culture hates the most--Manuel Noriega, Saddam Hussein. Noriega, at least, became a Christian. I'll be praying for Michael Schiavo, too. Peace.

3:39 PM, March 24, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Robin. And a heart attack . . . when did this happen?

8:24 PM, March 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home