Wednesday, April 06, 2005

God doesn't need you

But he loves you. And in that knowledge is joy.

It seems that many Christians, especially preachers, labor in the illusion that God somehow needs our efforts. I'm guilty, too. I try to convince myself I'm God's go-to guy for my little particle of the world. But it's not so. Not one of us is indispensable. God doesn't call us into a relationship with him because he needs us, but because he loves us.

Realizing that truth, moment-by-moment, relieves us of performance anxiety and puts the emphasis of our thoughts and actions where it belongs--on God and his great love for us.

Me-oriented prayers, I think, are for spiritual toddlers. At certain times in our lives, though, they help us learn to walk with God:

Father, thank you for loving me. May I walk with you today and remember that you're in control, that you know and love me, and that through the blood of Jesus Christ you've made me one of the redeemed. In thought, word, and deed may we give you all the glory.

6 Comments:

Blogger Larry said...

Often I wonder why God created us in the first place. He knew we would end up a bunch of sinners.

He also knew His Son would have to take on our human nature and die on the cross, yet in spite of all the problems we cause, He loves us beyond our imagination.

It's not so much that God needs our efforts, but in a large part that is how He works. The fields are ready for harvest .....

9:37 AM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're right that God chooses to use us, and that the fields are ready for harvest! Thanks for visiting, L.V., I hope you continue to offer an Occasional Opinion here!

9:45 AM, April 06, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post as normal Milton. Always a pleasure to read your stuff.

I would love to meet you FTF before you move to Virginia. When is the move? I am a bit busy for the next few days, but email me at frank@team-swap.com and we will work out a time and place to meet before you move.

http://www.team-swap.com
http://www.team-swap.com/wordpress

12:41 PM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Frank. Will do.

3:06 PM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pastor,
You have a wonderful gift of making me take a deep look at myself. I really appreciate that. Before the world of Blogs I really didn’t have this type of correspondence that enabled me to self reflect or sparked to need for self reflection. I thank you because I feel God works through you not help believers grow to be stronger in their faith but the preachers who read your Blog and know you as well. You are a blessed man Milton. I feel I am a better man for knowing you and the work the spirit does through you! May God bless you and use you as a vessel to help others grow!
In Jesus’ Name…
Your Friend,
Just Rick

10:01 PM, April 06, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your encouragement, Rick. To God be the glory.

6:53 AM, April 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home