Tuesday, April 26, 2005

What is true spirituality?

I like Eugene Peterson's answer:

I've been a pastor most of my life, for some 45 years. I love doing this. But to tell you the truth, the people who give me the most distress are those who come asking, "Pastor, how can I be spiritual?" Forget about being spiritual. How about loving your husband? Now that's a good place to start. But that's not what they're interested in. How about learning to love your kids, accept them the way they are?

How about it?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be spiritual is not to Love your husband or wife more. It is not to love and understand your kids more, and it is not something you shouldn't worry about. It starts with Loving God More than your Husband, Wife, or kids. It starts with putting God First in all things. Over your car, your house, your job, your golf game, foot ball, or money. It is a big deal. If we don't try to walk in his kingdom how do we expect to be in his Kingdom?

10:22 AM, April 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're right. Jesus said, "If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple" (Lk. 14:26). True spirituality is loving God first and foremost, so much so that anything else looks like hatred. How do we put that love into practice? Worship, of course. And also by showing love for our families, our neighbors, and our enemies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

1:37 PM, April 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home