Friday, May 20, 2005

Simple . . . with complexities

Conrad Gempf looks at the stark boundaries between lost and found in 1 Jn 3:11-4:21 and notices how pervasive the dichotomy is in John's writing:

I guess the point is that the whole Christianity thing isn't rocket science. It really is quite a simple matter at its root. Its about loving or not loving; about being God's or Not God's. In the end, whatever God has prepared for those two groups, there are only those two groups. Jesus could be like this too: "Anyone who is not for me is against me." God's word needs to be clear about that simplicity, but I'm glad we also glimpse in other books, something of the complexities as well.

I've often puzzled over how the gospel can be so simple ("Jesus Christ and him crucified" - 1 Cor. 2:2) yet discipleship and doctrine are areas none of us fully master on earth. Conrad has articulated that tension pretty well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home