Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Timeliness or timelessness?

As much as I've tried to avoid the Christian blogging fad of loving PyroManiac, I have to give Phil Johnson credit for his recent post on fads and North American evangelicalism. Fadism is driven, Phil says, by a morally declining Christian publishing industry. A sample of the charges:

Christian publishers have eagerly and deliberately fomented evangelicalism's bizarre craving for more and more fads and programs. Trust me: no one loves the Fad-Driven® Church more than the Profit-Driven® publishing industry. . . .

If you don't believe me, visit the annual convention of the Christian Booksellers' Association, spend an afternoon on the display floor, and take inventory of the dross that dominates the evangelical marketplace. It seems almost everything currently in style—and everything that hopes to become the next great evangelical fad—is tacky, trashy, and trivial. And the unscrupulous cheapjacks who manufacture and peddle this stuff hype their rubbish with marketing machines that rival anything in the secular world.
Phil's post is an excellent reminder of what the church's focus ought not to be. It also reminded me of what it should be: Jesus Christ, the living Word of God.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you repeated the prayer of Jabez today? :)

10:19 AM, July 26, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Prayer of Jabez? My territory is more expansive than I can handle right now.

6:24 AM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're correct too, Mike. A " hotbabe in automobile commericial." Your comment had me laughing out loud in the Internet coffee shop. Peace.

6:28 AM, July 27, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I discounted the prayer of Jabez book along with the Purpose Driven Life book as money making schemes to my own loss. I did not realize how many were being passed around after the owner reads them to almost no financial benefit to the publisher or author.

8:48 AM, July 27, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your comments, Anon.

10:09 AM, July 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home