Thursday, September 01, 2005

The centrality of the Word

Peter at Stronger Church shares his reflections on 2 Tim. 4:1-4 and the centrality of preaching to Christian ministry:
The more I think about the church and about what is important, I am convinced of two things:
  • Scripture must define our ministry priorities.
  • When we look at the pastoral task in Scripture, our primary - not our only, but our primary - priority must be the communication of God's Word.
Amen. Peter's message is in the form of a charge to his brother-in-law on the occasion of beginning work with a new congregation. Even if you're not one of Peter's in-laws, I recommend reading the whole post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyn said...

Once had a lady tell me that if preachers would get their sermons down to about 10 minutes it would make church going all the easier. And that's the problem, we are looking to make God easy for us when in fact the sermon should convey the weight of God, which to our atrophied spirits must make church seem hard. Thoughts? lgp

8:28 AM, September 01, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I agree, Lyn. Last night our congregation studied Acts 20, where Paul preached all night in Troas. I think it made them glad I preach only 30 minutes. Peace.

10:57 AM, September 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home