Saturday, September 17, 2005

The church, relevance, and darkness

Chris Kottre considers whether or not the church gives too much attention to what the world thinks in shaping our message and practices (HT: Sycamore). Chris raises some valuable points:
It just seems that in attempting to be relevant, the church may place itself in danger of giving undue emphasis on the frustrations and opinions of people out side of the church. These are people who are walking in darkness; and though the light (Jesus) is shining, according to John 1:5, these people do not comprehend it.

If these people are stumbling about in the darkness, why would I want their opinions to define my ecclesiology? Furthermore, why are we even surprised that people have a distaste for the church? Is it modernism's fault? Or at some point do we need to consider that maybe the world hates Christ because he testifies that what it does is evil (John 7:7).
Good questions.

4 Comments:

Blogger chris kottre said...

Thanks Milton... I've actually been a fan of your blog long before I even started blogging (through sycamore)... Thanks for the encouragement!

3:47 PM, September 18, 2005  
Blogger Brian Colmery said...

Milton, I take it as validation of my blogging career that you'd reference someone through my recommendation. Thanks for doing what you do!

5:35 PM, September 18, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

You're quite welcome, Chris. Tnd thanks for your kind words about TS. Peace.

6:06 PM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I'm flattered, Brian. And I appreciate not only your recommendations, but your own insights. Peace.

6:07 PM, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home