Tuesday, October 04, 2005

More on narrative and the Bible

I really appreciate this post by Rusty Peterman:
Lately, I've been re-thinking my own understanding of what the Bible really emphasizes, not a bunch of relgious forms I was trained to rattle off. I still hold strongly to the incredible place of the Bible for coming to know God. But based on my own experience and years of interacting with other Christians, I'm convinced that we've systematized and propositionalized the daylights out of the Bible.

We've dissected it and used it to try to convince others on the many ways they're missing the boat or being missled religiously. We've shrunk the Bible down to list after list of tips and techniques covering a variety of subjects ranging from parenting to marriage to finances to whatever seems to be the hot topic at the time.

But more and more I'm seeing how the Bible is a Story and God is its main character. As a story, it has more in common with "The Lion, the Witch, And the Wardrobe" and "The Wizard of Oz" and "Cinderella" than it does with the IRS tax code or the Yellow Pages.
Amen. And unlike any of those other works, it's always the truth.

2 Comments:

Blogger pete porter said...

Milton,
I see the bible as the story of the total distruction of the enemies of God and man. All according to justice and righteousness.
Be Blessed,
Pete

10:15 PM, October 04, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

That's certainly looking at the big picture. I would add that it is also the story of the triumph of the Lamb, along with his own. Thanks for commenting, Pete.

5:21 AM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home