Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Performance or paternity?

Preachers, here's a reminder from Kerry Doyal (HT: Jesus Creed). Kerry tells how Luke 10:19,20 changed his life and the truth it taught him about what matters more than performance. The problem with performance, of course, is that it goes up and down:
Our performance, successes and results will always be in flux and mixed. ‘Tis true: ya win some, ya lose some. Yet, for those of us who need to win all of them to be okay with us, this means trouble. For me, that means I am only as good as my next sermon, which puts me in deep trouble.
What, then, is the answer?
Read slowly a few times these words of Jesus that redirected my life: “However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven" (Luke 10:20 - NIV).

If I may paraphrase: Do not find your joy and source of identity in what you have done for Me. That fluctuates. Rejoice in what I have done for you – provided salvation. That is settled, secure and cannot change.
Yes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

I am honored to be quoted. Now I feel loved and useful to God ... ;-)
jus kiddin' - Kerry

8:12 AM, November 16, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Hah! Thanks for the good word, Kerry, and for the grace that makes it possible. Peace.

8:34 AM, November 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home