Monday, December 12, 2005

A nation of kings and queens

In the process of looking at political diviseness, Bill Gnade makes a trenchant observation that affects every aspect of culture in the United States. The problem? Each one of us sees himself or herself as a king or queen:
We live in a culture where everyone could, in theory, run for president, or even be president. We live in a culture wherein we teach our children that there is no dream they should not dream; that they can be anything they want to be, even the CEO of America; or that they, as mere amateurs, can nonetheless critique with pride the performances of the best athletes, writers, philosophers, or religious leaders in the world.
This quote hardly does justice to the post, in which Bill quotes Plato, Oscar Wilde, and Raphael Demos. I recommend reading the whole essay, because it sheds important light on what Christians really face in bringing the gospel to men and women in the United States.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Gnade said...

Milton,

Are you the kindest person in the world? Thank you for being such a positive force in my life. I am thrilled that you think my essay is worth noting.

(Well, if you are not the kindest, I am unshakeable in my convictions that you are one of the ten kindest people in the world.)

Peace,

BG

12:44 PM, December 12, 2005  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your encouraging words, Bill. I don't know how kind I am (my sons, for example, might not always agree), but I do think I have a pretty good eye for solid writing. Thanks for your post.

4:27 PM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home