Monday, February 06, 2006

Driving on when we feel like bailing out

Kirk Wellum recently reflected on the wearying pace of 21st century life:
Let's face it: life is not easy. No one said it would be and in addition to everything else Christians must remember that we face spiritual opposition that the world knows nothing about. It is not unusual to feel extremely tired when a time of prayer is scheduled or there is an opportunity to hear the word of God. Quite frankly, we just need to learn to expect such weariness, not take it too seriously and push beyond it. Chances are it will pass and we will feel just fine. Just because we are weary doesn't mean we can't work through it. The fact that anything is being done indicates that someone is doing just that!

This is a lesson that all useful Christians learn. With God's help they learn how to press on in spite of their feelings. If we are always ready to bail out on the basis of our feelings we will not be of much use to the Master. We need to realize that we can do all things through him who gives us strength! And we need to look for inspiration to those who have demonstrated what this looks like in real life instead of taking the path of least resistence.
Kirk's essay takes up a theme discussed last month at ekklesia in "Praying When I Hardly Feel Anything."

Update: Swap Blog has a few more words on the subject here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

It never fails that when I come here, I'm blessed beyond words. Thanks for posting this. It speaks to such a weakness in me that I struggle with daily.

This particularly spoke to me and helps to read again:

"If we are always ready to bail out on the basis of our feelings we will not be of much use to the Master. We need to realize that we can do all things through him who gives us strength."

Excellent. I fight crappy feelings on a daily basis:-) And lethargy sometimes. I think the enemy knows we are so subject to feelings, yet we can rise above them all in Jesus. I pray we'll both tap into that strength found only in the Lord, as we deal with daily stress.

God bless you and your ministry.
God is using you mightily even if/when you wonder.

11:03 AM, February 07, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for your kind words, and I'm glad Kirk's post spoke to you. As I wrote my post I did have in mind some of your writings on driving on through fibermyalga. Peace.

3:45 PM, February 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home