Thursday, February 09, 2006

What ministers ought to know

Jim Martin has posted some excellent advice in his four-part series, "41 Things Ministers Ought to Know." Here are the links: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4, and here are a few of the most challenging items on the list:
2. Forget trying to be a big name. Most of that stuff is about who you know, anyway. Stop playing the game.

14. Know that you are dispensable. Don’t take yourself too serious. After all, if you are hit by a Dr. Pepper truck today, the church will soon replace you.

29. Beware of sabotage. Edwin Friedman (Generation to Generation) taught that when you behave in a dysfunctional system as a healthy person, someone will attempt to sabotage you.
Good stuff, espeially that last one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dan McGowan said...

Hey, why are you picking on Dr. Pepper trucks?? It could be a Pepsi truck, or 7-UP truck, ya know... You, my friend, are a carbon-acist!

10:44 PM, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Well, Dan, I guess I have to plead guilty to that one. But maybe I'm taking myself too seriously here, but maybe the church wouldn't soon replace me if I were hit by a 7-Up truck.

6:46 AM, February 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home