Monday, April 24, 2006

More than "your own personal Jesus"

Paul Littleton is trying to find a deeper level of discipleship than "your own personal Jesus:"
Even Jesus' call to his disciples was not so much to have a "personal relationship" with Him - at least not in the sense that we think of "personal relationships" today. While He was calling them to be friends, He was calling them to learn from him. They were not being called as equals in the relationship. They weren't friends who shared equally in the friendship roles (though no doubt they were friends). All along they understood that Jesus had something to offer them and they had very little to offer in return.
True. And isn't that what grace is all about?

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I think I would have found Jesus a very mystifying friend. He was a man, yet he was clearly not at the same time. If all he offered me was friendship, I may have been quite frustrated.

6:02 AM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Good point, Kim. I have a feeling that if I had dared to follow Jesus during his earthly ministry, I would have vacillated between delight at his rhetorical victories over the authorities and terror that he was going to get us all killed.

1:54 PM, April 25, 2006  
Blogger Kim said...

I would have vacillated between delight at his rhetorical victories over the authorities and terror that he was going to get us all killed.

Exactly.

8:03 PM, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home