Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Letter to the preacher

Brad at The Broken Messenger has posted an incisive "Dear Pastor" letter. Here's a sample:
So while I appreciate your encouragement to press on, in your remaining sermons could you also admonish me that repentance must precede maturity? Will you remind me that every revival in church history has been kindled by the mercy of God when its people are broken, seek God in response to that brokenness and then live lives pursuing the indescribable joy found in the holiness of God? Will you show me that the one who is greatest in the kingdom of God is the one who is the most humble? Will you demonstrate that it is the denial of every earthly thing, by my faith in Christ, that will lead me through that narrow gate that so few find?
Good questions. I know I've been guilty of preaching love and maturity without first preaching repentence, but Brad's right that brokenness has to come before strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home