Thursday, May 25, 2006

More than just saving souls

One of my long-term goals in ministry is to change my orientation from a modernistic, individualistic view of the faith (i.e., "my salvation") to a Kingdom-centered outlook. Today I ran across this post by John Schroeder that stated the case very starkly:
. . . the church is not here to produce my salvation. The church is here solely to praise God and to reflect His glory and grace. Make no mistake, many will find salvation in that, but bringing that salvation is not the church's purpose. Again, I am not certain what metric truly reflects fruit-bearing - but it is not "saved souls." God's glory is so much more than that.

Wow. You got my attention with that one, John.

3 Comments:

Blogger John Schroeder said...

Glad you liked it Milt!

Blessings.

11:32 PM, May 25, 2006  
Blogger John Schroeder said...

Nothing I said would do away with the Great Comission.

God does not save us for us - He saves us for Himself. The church is about Him.

10:59 AM, May 26, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, B.C., for your comments, and thanks, John, for continuing the conversation. Peace.

12:45 PM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home