Friday, June 16, 2006

Beating the happiness addiction

Jim Martin shares his experiences in learning not to care too much about what people think about his ministry performance. A sample:
What made matters worse was the air I was breathing. The air had become polluted by lots of people communicating in subtle and not so subtle ways that the point of ministry was happiness. Success seemed to be the happiness of people in these churches. Combine caring too much with too many people craving "happiness" and you have a combination that is deadly. Buying into this is a sure way to kill the effectiveness of any minister or any other Christ-follower.
True.

4 Comments:

Blogger preacherman said...

Jim Martin had good thoughts.
I enjoyed reading your post and your blog.
It is a good blog.
Thanks.

7:39 PM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad you like Jim's work. Please let me know if you'd like me to add your blog to the Churches of Christ blog aggregator. Peace.

9:37 PM, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Rob Manktelow said...

I read this and about hit the floor. I was just thinking about this very subject this afternoon. I cringe everytime I hear someone say that since they found Christ they have never been happier or something along those lines. I wonder if we the church have sold them the happiness thing as a way to share Christ or if we as the church have prepared people for real life as a a follower of Christ. Not that we can't be happy just that maybe Joy is a better word for it.
I don't know. I hopoe to post something about it myself after I think it through a bit.

2:04 PM, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

I agree, Rob. I look forward to reading your post at TRTaR. Peace.

3:25 PM, June 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home