Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Beyond self-helpy religion

It looks like during his recent blogging break Jared at Shizuka Blog was saving up spiritual insights, especially about self-help religion posing as the gospel. Here's a sample:
What graceless twits we are. (Okay, what a graceless twit I am.) One point I have tried to make to some of the newly married couples in our small group is that they must really work on getting to know the difference between doing good for their spouse in order to get something in return and doing good for their spouse simply because it's the right thing to do. I think lots of the stuff out there on his-and-her needs, love languages, etc. can be very helpful, but too often it somehow sets us up to be yinning and yanging each other. I do this and you do that, and then we will bring balance to the force. I wonder where sin and grace come into play.
Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home