Sunday, August 27, 2006

God doesn't need football

During the 1980s and 1990s, Reggie White was not only a standout defensive end, but a well known Christian and evangelist. A recent article on Mr. White's induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, however, mentions a major repentance shortly before his death in 2004:
"Really, in many respects I've been prostituted," White said. "Most people who wanted me to speak at their churches only asked me to speak because I played football, not because I was this great religious guy or this theologian. ... I got caught up in some of that until I got older and I got sick of it. I've been a preacher for 21 years, preaching what somebody wrote or what I heard somebody else say. I was not a student of Scripture. I came to the realization I'd become more of a motivational speaker than a teacher of the word."

"I used to have people tell me, 'God has given you the ability to play football so you could tell the world about him,' " White said shortly before his death. "Well, he doesn't need football to let the world know about him. When you look at the Scriptures, you'll see that most of the prophets weren't popular guys. I came to the realization that what God needed from me more than anything is a way of living instead of the things I was saying. Now I know I've got to sit down and get it right."
Jesus promised that if we seek we'll find, and Reggie White found a precious truth not long before he died. God doesn't need our fame, our money, our rhetorical skill or our social networks to spread the Good News. His grace is sufficient.

HT: Culture Watch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home