Thursday, December 07, 2006

Not "You should" but "He is"

At In the Clearing, Bob rants mildly against preaching that seems to have lost the point. What he says is so good, I'm taking the liberty of excerpting a major portion his post:
I heard a sermon recently about Joseph, the husband of Mary. The message, in a nutshell, was all about courage. Joseph was a man of courage and faith. We ought also to be people of courage. Joseph had faith. We ought also to have faith. You get the idea. Now, it's my funny little notion that sermon's ought to be primarily about the business of revealing the heart of God. . . .

The primary purpose of a sermon, then, is not exhortation. It's not, "you should be brave," or "you should be loving," or "you should have faith," etc. These exhortative sermons leave me feeling rather ornery. Pastors, by all means preach about Joseph, yes indeed, but let your purpose be to show us God's heart, not Joseph's. And then, if you have preached the truth, you will have helped to make me, perhaps, a little more courageous, faithful, loving, etc.

Tell it!

8 Comments:

Blogger Brian Nicklaus said...

thanks for the reminder,
I assume you are familiarly with piper's book on preaching, i loved it but still working on doing that, preaching God weekly instead of stuff...

4:57 PM, December 07, 2006  
Blogger Bob Spencer said...

Thanks for the link, Milton. Hope your out from under your heavy workload (at least a little bit). Hi to the family!

7:16 AM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Glad to hear it, Brian. No, I'm not familiar with Piper's book on preaching, but it sounds like he says something similar to Bob, eh?

9:39 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks, Bob. I've getting out from under the load, but not quite there yet. I still have about 30 research papers to grade, and then final exams next week. In about eight days, I should be out from under fall semester. Peace.

9:40 PM, December 08, 2006  
Blogger Charlie Cameron said...

Further to my earlier comment, here are the links to Christ in all the Scriptures and The Theology of G C Berkouwer.

12:03 PM, February 14, 2011  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks for the links, and sorry I didn't thank you earlier for your earlier comment.

6:50 PM, February 15, 2011  
Blogger Charlie Cameron said...

Update to my earlier comment (the first one) - The third site is no longer available. The first two can still be found here and here.

8:45 AM, August 16, 2011  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

Thanks once again. I've bookmarked your links and hope to get over to them soon.

10:07 AM, September 05, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home