Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Being a "normal, healthy, genuine person"

Preachers, do you often find yourself giving in to the pressure toward buzyness? If so, you might be interested in Jim Martin's article about keeping healthy in ministry:
Far too often, ministers in churches model a lifestyle that is not healthy.

Many ministers and many churches place an inordinate value on busyness, activity, and noise. I’m not talking about working hard. That i a good thing! No, I am talking about a lifestyle that places little value on rest.
Jim looks to the work of Ruth Haley Barton, who recommends ministers "establish a constant back-and-forth motion between engagement and retreat." That sounds a lot like the kind of ministry Jesus practiced.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how many churches of Christ offer their ministers a sabbatical after a few years. When I moved to where I currently am, they told me I get a sabbactial every five years.

I had never heard of that before, but in a couple years I am sure I will enjoy it.

1:48 PM, February 26, 2007  
Blogger Milton Stanley said...

That's the first CoC I've heard of that gives a sabbatical. I suppose most preachers never make it long enough to get one. When you say sabbatical, do you mean a whole year?

6:42 PM, February 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home